Carlos Sainz (STR11-01, Car 55)
Race: Pos. 8th
"I'm very pleased with my race today, especially because we didn't have an easy one! We started from the back and did a good start, managing to get into the top 10 in the early stages of the race. Suddenly, after the second pit-stop during the Safety Car period, we were nearly last... Which meant we had to do a very good last stint on the Soft tyres – 35 laps – overtaking lots of cars and managing to get back into the top eight, something a bit unexpected after seeing myself back in P15 with half the race to go. After a tough Saturday, I'm happy to finish the weekend with a good result as we've worked very hard for this – now we just need to make sure we have better Saturdays in order to start races further up the grid and fight for more points. I'm confident we can do it and I look forward to next week's race weekend in Silverstone – my favorite track together with Spa – where we will keep pushing!"
Daniil Kvyat (STR11-04, Car 26)
"What an unfortunate weekend. We started today's race from the pit-lane, but I was only able to complete one lap before having to retire because of what looks like a mechanical issue – we still need to investigate what the exact reason is. It's painful, but this is racing... Of course today I feel really frustrated, but tomorrow I will wake up and will have found the strength to move on. In moments like these I always remember what someone once told me: 90% of being a racing driver is tough but the remaining 10% is so good, that it's all worth it – let's just hope that 10% is back in Silverstone next week! We will definitely work hard to make it happen."
Franz Tost (Team Principal):
"After our problems in qualifying yesterday, Carlos' P8 is a big success for us today. Having to prepare the car with another engine is always a risk, as you don't have the chance to run it before the race, but fortunately the team did a fantastic job to get the car ready in such a good way. Carlos drove a great race, with a lot of overtaking maneuvers as well as being able to manage the tyres very well. Daniil had what seems like a mechanical issue, which the team will now have to investigate, and unfortunately had to retire. It's a shame, because I'm convinced that he also could have done a really good race. Now we have to prepare everything for next week's Grand Prix in Silverstone and make sure we are in a good shape to continue fighting for more points.
I'd also like to congratulate Max and Red Bull Racing for their great race today – to finish in P2 here at the Red Bull Ring, at home, is a fantastic result!"